Defending Utah

Monday, April 21, 2008

Ok so I have to be honest; I have some beef with Utah. But I have even more beef with people who have beef with Utah that have never lived here. I also have beef with people who have beef with BYU. Having just known some people from BYU or having met some a lot of people from Utah doesn't qualify someone to pass judgment. Now as a disclaimer I have to say that I myself don't attend BYU and that I don't have any real intention of living in Utah forever. I also wouldn't put Utah in my top places to live but I have lived here several years now and so I feel somewhat justified in my decision.
I suppose that there are a lot of people out there that really hate a lot of different schools or states but I'm specifically addressing the mormons who hate Utah & BYU because there are a lot of mormons in Utah and BYU. Utah is a subject of greater conversation in my world because I do live here and I talk to a lot of other LDS people who don't. I guess I just don't get it. I suppose that most of you out there reading this who don't like Utah or BYU are thinking in this very moment that you do actually have realistic justification to hate an entire state or institution because of whatever small but "justified" experience that you have, but I think I would generally tend to disagree.
Utah really has a lot going for it and in case you haven't noticed so does BYU. I'm seriously not trying to defend either of these two though I'm really not. Just curious why so many people who don't have any legitimate first hand experience decide to hate the state and the school?

Anybody?

4 comments

I have noticed though my years of relationships that people are most likely to criticize those whom they most trust. It's safe, you see. A trusted friend/family member will not strike back. He will forgive. He will understand that the person is just stressed and needs to vent. Could that be true on a larger scale? Those who find fault with Utah or BYU know it is a safe stab. Even those who loyally defend won't do so by violent means. Shucks, the Church encourages independent thinking and expression. Also,the general narrow experience of the LDS Utah resident also creates prejudices that are founded in fear. People are nervous about people/cultures that are different from their own. Particularly when it is group-reinforced, and therefore seems justified. This works both ways: Mormons are scared of non-mormons, and the non-mormons are scared of mormons. People hide their fears by criticism. It's a way of facing the fear without admitting it.

April 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Eric said...

I think that people, including myself, form opinions too quickly. Based on limited interactions or information, you form an opinion. You meet someone from somewhere, and you think, hey that guy is a jerk, everyone from there must be the same. You make assumptions based on limited information. Sometimes you form an opinion based on someone else's experience.

Mom once told me that her preconcieved notions about Utah mormons proved to be incorrect. It is human nature. Everyone thinks Utah mormons are jack mormons, everyone thinks people at BYU are narrow minded, holier than thou types. Everyone is wrong. While those people certainly do exist (in large numbers), it is not fair to assume that everyone is that way, because everyone is not.

May 1, 2008 at 10:29 AM
kodykong said...

I don't like BYU because it feels like a mormon rule that you have to like them. Plus, when they play football, they're rude and mean. Is this really the Lord's team? No, they're just another college team on the field.

May 12, 2008 at 1:42 AM
Katy said...

ok, i must stop reading your mom's comments... they make me feel bad and guilty for what I have to say... but being ME, i must have to add my two cents worth... but on this one.. all i have to say is:


it's funny how many times you used the word BEEF


and all's ya gots ta say to da playa's, "don't be hatin'"
(i'm half Korean, half Gangsta)

May 16, 2008 at 9:09 PM