Our Loyal Companion

Thursday, July 31, 2008

July is always a difficult month for Holly. Both July 4th and 24th are holidays where people can shoot off fireworks. Fireworks along with other load noises scare Holly really bad and she shakes and has to be right next to us. She isn't actually allowed upstairs where the bedrooms are but about 12 or so nights in July she ends up sleeping in our bedroom. It doesn't matter if we yell at her or even pick her up and carry her downstairs because she will just sneak up again and try to wedge her body under the bed where she thinks she is safest.
We have also found that she has been much more obedient since I starting taking her running in the mornings. This is extra important since Simon is crawling so much now and has a tendancy to climb on Holly and pull on her ears.
I really love Holly and I finally realized what it is about dogs that I love so much. Loyalty. Dogs are uniquely loyal pets and I admire it! Do you have a dog? You should really get one.

Jacob Paulsen
www.jacobspaulsen.com

5 comments

Eric said...

Get a dog? Why? I already have a job. I don't need a janitor/dog-walker/feces collector job that I don't get paid for.

I understand that alot of people love their dogs, will always have a dog, etc., but it is not for me. I just don't get it. I don't need companionship. I don't need loyalty. Why create more work for myself?

August 1, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Wise persons have always recognized the value in dog companions:
2.1.They love you unconditionally, even when you abuse them
They ARE the loyal friend that won't dessert nor betray
3.They give us purpose, by needing us back
4.They teach us about relationships, and allow us to practice on them; people with dogs make better parents and spouses etc. if they notice and learn from their dog-relationship.
5. They are entertaining, affectionate and protective, often getting credit for heroic and insightful actions that "save" their owners.
6.Because they need exercise, they force us into action that is healthy and positive, that most of us wouldn't do otherwise.

I think that's easily worth a bit of poop-scooping.

August 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Yeah Eric so there. I agree with Mom. Your laziness keeps you from getting a dog, and in getting a dog you might overcome your laziness and increase the quality of your life.

August 1, 2008 at 11:02 AM
Shannon said...

Well...having Potter has definitely made me a better mom, although I am still learning how to be a good dog owner/pack leader. Plus which dogs are cute, cuddly, furry, and entertaining.

August 1, 2008 at 12:26 PM
Tiffany said...

I love dogs but I don't have one. I have 3. Yes I am crazy but one of them is just like Holly and hates the fireworks. This week was bad because of the Dance Festival and we had them going off every night.

August 2, 2008 at 11:15 AM