Prince Caspian Movie Review

Sunday, May 25, 2008


Ami and I were able to go to see Prince Caspian on Saturday night while her parents were in town. This is the first time we have been to the theater since Simon was born and it was quite nice. Ami had labeled "The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe" her favorite movie ever so there was a lot of excitement to see Caspian. We made our first mistake by listening to the audiobook during the day during our drive to salt lake and back. This made us more sensitive to the differences between the movie and the book. There were a lot of differences and to be frank the Narnia books just weren't that well written. What I mean to say is that the books are delightful and I enjoy them because of the content but C.S. Lewis was not a great author, but a great philosopher and thats what made his books good. The movie was awesome in spite, or in fact because it was different from the book. We really enjoyed it except to say I'm wondering why they decided to have a latino Prince Caspian. As if his looks weren't enough to make all the girls freak out they have to give him a sexy accent to go with it. Not that I was personally attracted mind you, I'm straight but I could see it in the eyes of my wife and other female audience members. We aren't as blind to these things as you girls think. We know when you are checking out other dudes. Just to clarify I'm not upset at you Ami. It's natural and I expect you to notice good looking dudes. I just wish Disney wouldn't have made it so easy.

Jacob

3 comments

Ami Paulsen said...

The movie was AWESOME! I did miss a lot of things about the book but... oh well. I'm over it. I have no shame in admitting, Prince Caspian was rather attractive in a "pretty boy" kind of way. It did seal the deal for me though when he let out that Latino accent. Why would Disney do this you ask? Because the number one consumer in the nation is teenage girls. What makes teenage girls like movies? Attractive Latino men who can handle a sword but still have a sensitive side. This is why Disney will never lose momentum.

May 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Arrriba! Disney has always assumed they know what makes an audience happy. The goofy thing is that Disney has also always taken a good idea from somebody else (a book) and rewritten it to match their idea of the modern consumer audience. I wouldn't mind so much if they just admitted it better. Like, it should be titled, "Prince Caspiano" and carry a subtitle:"inspired by but not limited to the book of similar title by CS Lewis."

May 25, 2008 at 9:03 PM
Katy said...

Hilarious!! You guys must not have been listening to the chapter where they describe Prince Caspian... If I remember correctly he's the love child of Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas... who were both from Narnia when they met of course. I love what your mom said, "Prince Caspiano" CRACKS ME UP!!!

May 26, 2008 at 3:09 PM